Sunday, February 15, 2015

Week 1: Welcome to the Real World

At the official conclusion of the first week of srp's I am eager to say I have much to report. I was lucky enough to be able to begin my internship at Dark Horse Media immediately so naturally this week began with the enthusiasm and anxiety similar to that felt on the first day of school. Much like the title suggests, this is not school anymore, this is the real world so of course that anxiety was unnecessary to say the least. From the minute I entered the office I was welcomed with smiles and open arms. My onsite advisor made sure that I was introduced to the other six women who work in the office, all of whom were more friendly than I ever expected. My weekly hours of ten to four meant that everyone was already deep in their work by the time I had arrived. However, my onsite advisor as well as another woman in the office were kind enough to guide me through what they were working on at that moment and what they would be working on throughout the week. At the end of my first day I walked out of the office grateful for the warm welcome and slightly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information that was just shared with me both about the company as well as the media industry in general, but after getting my first taste of real world experience I was eager for more.
 
To say that the rest of the week was incredible would be an understatement. From being able to sit in on a couple brief client meetings to being assigned small tasks of my own I was able to learn so much about the business. Due to the small size of the agency I was introduced to many aspects of the marketing process that may normally be divided amongst several people in larger firms. I learned a bit about big data and how specific audiences are targeted in advertisements, which approaches the Big Brother example at times but in the most amazing and least threatening and totalitarian way possible. I discovered that I quite enjoy being referred to as a millennial, as that was brought up several times during discussion this week when discussing how difficult it is to target the modern generation on a local level.  Unfortunately, over the course of the week my laptop was plagued with a nasty virus which put my work at a slight stand still, but with the help of technology that is beyond my understanding it was cured within a few days and my work luckily didn't suffer from this minor set back. I'm not quite sure what next week holds in store to be quite honest. However, my personally assigned task for this weekend was to brush up on my Microsoft excel capabilities as well as start a few of my research sources.......and I'll list those tasks as pending.
 
Forgive the length of this post and its semi formal yet unorganized nature, which I'm sure will turn into a shorter light hearted post in no time at all. Blogging is a reasonably new means of communication for me and I am not quite sure what I'm doing to be perfectly honest. What I am sure of though is that this week was amazing from start to finish and I am grateful for this amazing opportunity, the new friends I have made, and all that I have learned in this short amount of time!
 
Stay tuned for next week when I report back on my findings from another week in the real world.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, It was great meeting with you and discussing the adventure of your first week. I hope that all is still going well and that you've been able to experience new challenges in the past few weeks. I'm interested to see how the firm uses your "millennial" perspective in order to reach a broader audience in various ad campaigns. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete