Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Madness Ensues



Welcome to the middle of the third week of my SRP/ internship. 

You may be thinking , "Wait, third week? What happened to the second week?". I have been asking myself that same question. Time has flown by since the beginning of August and seems now to be passing at maximum speed. Over the past couple weeks I have found myself listening to, watching, and actively looking for advertisements and commercials. Yes, that's right I have left the luxurious comfort bubble of streaming and have given into the irresistible world of advertisements. Its amazing to think of how much work goes into every single advertisement from start to finish. Its madness, but in a mad world you have to have structure. So, while everyone is losing their minds we're here to make sure things run smoothly. That was basically what was said last week in the weekly staff meeting as deadlines approached and the to do list seemed infinite. Granted that stressful atmosphere never really goes away in this profession. So what have I learned? I've learned that Mad Men leaves out a lot . I have learned that my project might need a bit of tweaking in terms of what I'll actually be researching because my adventures have taken me in an unexpected direction. As unnerving as that should be for me considering that I just realized my final project of my high school career isn't following "schedule" I am feeling quite....up for the challenge. Ironically, that's the challenge of marketing. Nothing ever goes smoothly, but business never stops.  A phrase that echoes through the office is "never a dull moment" , which has proven to be true more times than not.

 "the ability to deal with people is as purchasable a commodity as sugar or 
coffee. And I will pay more for that ability, than for 
any other under the sun." 
John D Rockefeller
Though this quote is materialistic and slightly disturbing it is almost right on line with my own research. So, well said Rockefeller...well said.

3 comments:

  1. I'm excited to speak with you in regards to the new direction of your project! It sounds like being flexible and allowing your goals to shift in the direction of your current experiences is a new, yet welcome, challenge. I hope you continue to enjoy your internship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda!
    I was just wondering if you could elaborate in which ways you are changing your project? I would love to hear about the experiences that you have had that have taken you on this new path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to both of your comments I believe that I will have my paper focus on how marketing continues to evolve and is now struggling to evolve while the consumer need to purchase a feeling or idea remains constant.

    ReplyDelete